23 August 2010

my letter

These weeks are just flying by. And then these weeks are flying into months. And soon months into year(s). Nuts. I hit 7 months last week. I'm almost to the point in my mission where my trainer was when he trained me. And became District Leader. I doubt I'll do either.

Not a whole lot to talk about news-wise. We've been teaching the same people, occasionally finding new people that don't last. One of the less-actives we're teaching has had a swollen foot and leg since February and refuses to go to the doctor about it. It looks awful. We've been committing him almost everyday to call for an appointment. As well as read the scriptures of course. Another guy we're teaching speaks 5 different languages (English, French, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese) and used to be a private investigator in New York. He has cool stories. Yeah.

Our district. These guys are weird. I'm on the far left. 
My companions are on the far right. So much for unity.
On Tuesday I went on exchanges with Harrisonburg 1st ward and spent the day in Harrisonburg with Elder Braunberger. This is only his second transfer so he's very new, which made for an interesting experience for me as I've never been with a less-experienced companion. It wasn't too bad. Elder Braunberger talks a million miles a minute so I didn't have to worry about that but it was very difficult for me to get my say in. It was a very successful day too. We taught 10 lessons, found 5 new investigators, and got 2 referrals. I don't know what it's in the water up there but it's working. I learned a lot. He's also a crazy driver. Just thought I'd throw that in. In the group picture he's the one to my left in the far back.

The biggest praying mantis I have ever seen. It's probably the length of my hand,
from tip of my middle finger to my wrist. 
The work in Waynesboro has been good still. The Spanish work has dropped a little since we've gone to the zebra, through no fault of any of us. The once solid investigators there are just dropping like flies. They've talked about taking Elder Campbell out of here next transfer and not replacing him, thereby closing the area. Don't know if that'll happen but it would be very sad. There's one family that could get baptized and then another guy who will likely be baptized and that's about it. Elder Campbell knows practically every Hispanic in the area so the water's not too deep here. English work has picked up a little. We still have the 2 people with dates, and just this last Sunday one of our formers that has been investigating forever decided to come to church which is great. She's very ready to be a member.

That's about all I have to say. The hour goes by too fast. I need to plan out what I'm say so I have more time to say it. Kind of like how I plan my day.

-Elder Ryan Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment