16 August 2010

jkdlkjdsflkjdsf

This week was lacking in cool stories or experiences or stuff like that. The big thing was Zone Conference with President Perry wherein we learned more about the church's new direction.

First off though we did set another investigator for baptism (Tina). She knows the Book of Mormon is true but she can't get married to her boyfriend who she's living with until he gets divorced and it costs a lot of money to get divorced apparently (and he refuses to move out). So she probably won't make it to the 11th of September unless something real good happens. The other one that's set is still progressing and -should- make it. We have new standards on church attendance before baptism and stuff. Before it was 4 times at church and 2 weeks of living the Word of Wisdom but now it's "3 or more" and there's no timetable on living the commandments. It's more about how ready we feel she is and how commited we feel they are. And she's pretty commited. But other than that our Spanish people are pretty awesome. Still don't know much what they're saying but I've picked up some more phrases to say. "Que tenga un buen dia" and "Encantado de conocerle". I'm afraid to say them to people still cause I'm afraid I'll butcher it but I'm trying to do more. I'm gonna miss Spanish work if we lose the zebra.

As for the Zone Conference, the new direction of the church as President Perry explained it is Mormon.org and everything that's associated with it. The goal in the next year or so is to take every tool missionaries have ever used in the past, throw it in a safe, lock it, and let the key rust (that's an almost direct quote from President Monson). I'm not sure what the definition of "tools" is in this context but he did explain that if any ward wants to order supplies for them to use in their missionary work that it would be cheaper and smarter to order only Mormon.org cards than say pamphlets, books, and other pass-along cards. It seems like a new direction for sure and it's pretty exciting. They're all over the social networking stuff right now. Apparently in a mission in New York they have a test program with 12 missionaries who only spend their time on Facebook doing missionary work there. How effective it's been I have no idea but it's certainly different. In addition to that, before President Hinckley died he said that there is going to be a new wave of converts to the church that would make our current numbers look like a joke, but that it wouldn't happen until after he died. President Monson feels like this is it. Take that as you will.

But yeah there's some big paragraphs for you. The work here is pretty good. We're still busy but appointments are slowly dwindling as people become more busy with school. Sorry my e-mails are boring. I feel like I talk a lot about current events here and not as much about how or what I'm doing. I don't know how much I've said but I'll try to explain more about missionary life in Virginia next time. Maybe. No promises.

Thanks for all your e-mails.

-Elder Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment