23 June 2010

vrrrmmm *vacuum noise*

New companion this week. As I said earlier his name is Elder Holbrook, and he's from Bountiful. He's been out about 8 months and this is his first time being senior companion. He's a pretty interesting guy, and possibly different from Elder Bronson in every way. Not to say he's bad, but he's just a different companion than he was. I'll just list off some of his interests that I've learned the last week: he owned a wedding planning business back home and still sort of runs it from here, he has a culinary arts degree, he taught ice skating, he loves Twilight and chick flicks, his favorite color is purple, he has bright pink and purple Camp Rock bed sheets, he worked in the mission office for a couple months, and he's taken up knitting on his mission. Oh, and he does play the organ and the piano and the cello. I don't know why I listed those off, but I thought I'd give you an idea of my new companion to see the contrast  between him and my old one, who liked UFC and first-person shooters. He's a pretty nice guy but our common interests are few (except the Gospel of course).

 Me and Elder Bronson in a warm side-embrace.

He's really excited about kicking this area in the butt (we didn't have a good transfer last transfer) cause he came from an area that had a lot of quick success (Lawrenceville). We've been spending time the last few days revamping the area book cause it was absolutely terrible when we got it. We divided the area into sections and assigned them numbers so we could organize all the formers and potentials into those areas. It'll make planning easier, plus it'll help me visualize the area lot better. Either way we've got our work cut out for us. The goal is to have 20 lessons a week here, and the most I've had here is 10. We're getting there though.
They're getting in the car here, to leave without us. 

Anyway, the last week was pretty good. Me and Elder Campbell, who's companion was also leaving (they're the Spanish ones) weren't able to go to transfer meeting Thursday cause there wasn't enough room, so we spent the morning together until like 1. We mostly did Spanish work which was weird cause I just stood there while they spoke a different language. I'm glad I'm an English missionary. On Monday we helped one of our investigators mow their giant lawn and clean their porch a little. We didn't get any ticks which was a miracle. She (Nancy) is still stressed about her house and uses that as a crutch for not going to church but she still likes us and talking to us so we'll keep at it. On Sunday we had a lesson with someone that was dropped last transfer that I'd never met, and after teaching him about the Plan he got all excited about being with his family and his dogs in heaven (cause they'll all be there) and he now plans on going to church and learning and all that. That was exciting, and a bit of a "yeah, someone new to teach!" moment. We haven't had many of those that have lasted.

Today we're going to Monticello for P-day, just us and Bro Gold. We tried to get Staunton and the Spanish Elders to come to but they cancelled on us too. Hopefully I'll have some good pictures for you guys next week, since many of my pictures are boring "this is us in the car/apartment" pictures. It'll be hot today for sure but it'll be my first p-day going to a tourist-y place so that's exciting.

Oh, I thought it'd be worth mentioning that Elder Holbrook is getting a GPS sent to him soon (hopefully). I really do miss our GPS so that'll help us be more effective. I still would like one of my own. Eventually. No rush.

I think that's all. Bro Gold is waiting for us outside. Going to Monticello. Yep.

-Elder Ryan Parker.

No comments:

Post a Comment