09 June 2010

i hit a bird this week.

Some pretty fun stuff this week. We had another District Meeting this last Friday and I gave a training on teaching clearly. It was my first...training...of anything...really. I didn't teach it very clearly, but that's all right cause they payed attention and laughed and cried and sang songs. Afterwards we went to a Mexican food buffet that had really sweet Mexican food. That's about all you get out here. It's weird.

We've been having a weird time trying to find new people to teach. We dropped 4 investigators last week for various reasons so now we're down to not very many. They had a big neighborhood-wide yard sale in Fishersville (another town we cover) so we walked around and talked to people and the like. I bought some old Batman Returns cups from McDonalds. I didn't really want them but I felt bad walking around without actually buying anything. It was hot that day too so I roasted/got a tan. Not that that matters or anything.

On Thursday or Friday night or something we had another big thunderstorm, this time with LOTS of rain. Our little gutter behind our apartment that's about the length of my shoe big got pretty close to river-status. We got on our raincoats and umbrellas and just stood outside during it caue we both enjoy that kind of stuff. It was fun. No, really.

As you'll see from the pictures we've been finding maggots in our apartment. At first we just found them on the ceiling and on the floor from falling down but after some lengthy time spent pesticiding we've narrowed down their origins to the back of the cupboards. We had to spray permethrin (at least a watered down version of it) all over the cupboards and ceiling and kitchen but this morning we found a ton more so we microwaved them. It's pretty gross but it could be worse, especially if we were out in the jungle or something.

On Monday I hit a bird. It flew out of a bush while we were going about 60 on one of the main roads and just flew right into the front of the car. It bounced off and splattered a little and landed behind us. It was kinda sad but there wasn't anything I could do about it. The thump was pretty satisfying though. Don't judge.

Tuesday was the big last Mission Conference before President Millburn leaves. It was in Richmond so we had to drive an hour and a half to get there. President Perry wasn't there, which some people speculated on, but it was basically a farewell for them. He got up and listed off some short brief phrases to ponder that he'd written down over the course of the mission. Guys were crying during the closing hymn (God Be With You Til We Meet Again, as you could've guessed) but I did my usual tough guy deal. It's weird to think the bulk of my mission will be with a different president and that he could completely change or not change everything. It's like getting a new US president but not knowing if it was McCain or Obama that won (politics!) Afterwards we all got to shake his and her hands and potentially get a picture with them but dumb ol' Elder Parker left his camera in his backpack and his backpack on his shoulders without even thinking about it. Oh well. We drove back and stopped in Charlottesville for a deli sandwich. UVA has a large campus.

During all this we spent Monday and Tuesday night in Staunton cause they were our ride. Staunton is a cool little town northwest of us. Their neighbor downstairs hates any creaking or noise made upstairs so we basically tiptoed the whole night. That blew, but it was another fun sleepover deal.

These aren't getting much bigger and I apologize for that, but it's hard to find incredible things to say amid all the everyday routine we've been having. Transfers are next week so I may or may not be leaving, but I doubt it. Elder Bronson will probable go and I'll get a new companion here. I know I said that last time but it's more likely this time. We'll have to see.

I think that's it. I'm doing just fine here, and there isn't really anywhere else I'd care to be. Except maybe the Moon. That would be cool. Oh, and Dad will probably get a similar treatment sometime around his birthday, so look out for that.

-Elder Ryan Michael Parker


PICTURES:
- Elder Jeppesen and Elder Bronson in Staunton. Goofy lookin' kids.
- We collected all the maggots onto a plate and microwaved them today. We don't like them very much.
- That blacksmith shop I've been talking about, plus one of the chandeliers he's been making. Sorry it's so dark, don't judge.
- This is where we study, but for this part we looked at the camera to look cool and be seen.



No comments:

Post a Comment