30 June 2010

This chair has a lot of fuzzies on it and I am picking them.

Monticello was pretty cool. We were there for about 5 hours and got rained out in the middle of one of the tours. It started pouring pretty bad so we all had to run to the shuttle station for cover.  We were completely soaked and it was great. They didn't let us take pictures inside the house which disappointed me but the outside and stuff was fun. Our chaperon (Brother Gold) really likes American history so he was chatting it up with our tour guide and stuff. Plus we looked goofy walking around in white shirts with a bunch of tourists but whatever. Now I can say I went to something historic in Virginia. Hooray!

The rest of the week was pretty good. Elder Holbrook as I said was very excited to get this area going and we're starting to see results. We actually have some numbers instead of zeroes, it's great. Not to say we weren't trying before, but I guess our patience has paid off. Those two UBYs I mentioned a while ago are set to get baptized before the 17th which is exciting. It'll probably be the easiest baptism I have here but whatever. We've been doing some more creative things to get people to church. This last week we did the Cookie Bandit to some of our less-actives (left cookies on their door, invited them to church to see who it was). It was Elder Holbrook's idea. One of the weirder things I've done on my mission, but I hope it works. Also, that family from last week that said they wanted to go to church and be together as a family also told us they want to be baptized. We assured them they'll have to keep some commitments (like quitting smoking and drinking coffee) and they said they're ready to do it. If they keep doing what we ask them they'll do great. Other than that we've be trying to talk to everyone we see and while it's still weird and intimidating, I've tried to realize that staying quiet won't get you anywhere in life (except maybe very specific circumstances; like the mafia). So I'm dealing with that.

Friday was District Meeting again. It was nice to talk to the guys again in our district. We're just a bunch of crazy missionaries I guess.

President Perry is in the office and President Millburn is back in Centreville. I guess he'll be talking this Sunday up there but I don't know when or where. A lot of help I am I know. Friday we'll get to meet him at mission conference which will be strange, but sometimes change can be exciting. And sometimes it's not. We'll have to see.

Um, I'm out of time now. I love you guys!

-Elder Parker

Pictures:
- Me in front of ol' Monty. My tie is crooked.
- Yes I know I'm making a stupid look, and I hate myself for it.
- We somehow ended up on this scenic overlook, so we took pictures. Those are the Blue Ridge Mountains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment