2 weeks and lots of sweat, stench, and PB&Js later, we have officially survived Irene. I thought she had us when we almost crashed into that tree (seriously) but man has prevailed again. Really though when it came down to it the storm wasn't as bad as they thought and we didn't even get to spend it on the coast of the Chesapeake like we wanted. Instead we were high-tailed to Colonial Heights to ride through some heavy rain and moderate winds. We did take pictures (which I can't send today) and we did play games but man alive did I want to be back in our area. I always wanted to experience a hurricane on my mission. Like you know, boats in the road and street signs in people's front windows. Instead we watched a green chair slowly blow across our back lawn. Lame.
Not to mention the power outage. Oh the power outage. Well, let's back up here. We knew nothing of the hurricane until the Tuesday before. We were actually at zone conference down in Newport News learning about missionary things when a little rumble rumble started. I knew pretty quickly it was an earthquake (that is NOT California snobbery, I promise) but I guess those around me were confused and bewildered. Elder Jones thought everyone was adjusting themselves in their seats at the same time. Elder Capson thought someone was shaking our pew. Sister Perry jumped up and said "I think it's an earthquake!" Everyone was excited, everyone was pumped. We joked about diving under the pews (there were chandeliers in the chapel and they were a-movin') but it stopped before we could.
Anyways that was the less exciting part of the week. Right after it happened though our mission president was like "oh by the way there's a hurricane coming so we'll keep you posted". I thought it was gonna be like last year's hurricane, hurricane Earl, which came and went like a morning breeze. But as the week went on we just heard more and more stuff about how it was actually pretty serious. They told us to get 72 hour kit and everything and then Thursday night they told us to get packed for 3 days cause we might be evacuated in the middle of the night. We weren't. It was Friday morning. So off to Colonial Heights we went, cancelling appointments along the way. Elder Jones served there for 4.5 months so he was excited. I was too cause I have this other-worldly connection to it and can't escape it or the people there. Weird. But we showed up and spent Friday and Saturday lounging around with the CH missionaries waiting for and waiting through Hurricane Irene. What a wench.
Sunday was the aftermath where we showed up at the Colonial Heights chapel and planned out with their bishop who needed help in the ward. Then we divided and conquered, doing service throughout the day. Not as much damage as we thought but still enough to frustrate some people's day. Friday night we drove home and almost drove ourselves into an Ensign-worthy missionary tragedy. So normally I drive, right but this time I decided to let Elder Jones drive cause he drives faster and we needed to get home (don't judge, just read). On the way back it got real dark and Elder Jones was fulfilling his responsibility to drive swiftly. I don't know if I ever told you but one of our investigators hit a tree a few months ago driving home at night and destroyed his car. They were fine but shaken up. Well while he was speeding Elder Jones kept thinking "slow down, remember Charlie". So he slowed down (relative to what he was driving). He kept speeding up though but remembered "slow down think of Charlie". So he slowed down again, keeping his foot hovered over the brake. I knew he was thinking of Charlie cause he made a random comment about him that we laughed about (anytime he talks about cars he does this "waaaahhh waaahhhh" sound to recreate the sound of the engine). Anyways, wouldn't you know it, but about 5 minutes later I looked ahead at what can only be described as a wall of leaves, with what could only be a large trunk behind it. Like, a serious wall. We were going about 60 so when he slammed on the brakes we just slide slightly slower towards this wall but all 3 of us saw a small opening on the left side just large enough for us to drive through. Like the whole tree was across the road with the bottom of it on the right but there was a clearing of no leaves or branches on the left so we just kinda coasted right through it and broke on through to the other side. Crazy, right? Right. So his prompting led to our continued life here on earth. That tree was a monster. But it could not swallow us!
Anyways after all that we were home and safe. Monday through Wednesday we had no power still but Wednesday afternoon I think it came back on. We stunk pretty bad cause we had no water to shower with and the church didn't have showers for us. And all we could eat was sandwiches and Snack Packs. I shouldn't complain too much I guess. Many missionaries go their whole mission without power. I do not envy them. But once all that was taken care of things sorta went back to normal and we started doing normal activities again. We did do service, yes, but not as much as we thought we were. I guess a lot of members of the branch are resourceful enough to take care of their own problems. Which is good. But yeah. Hurricane.
We did get a new investigator. She was at the house of the family we're teaching when we were there and said we had "good vibes". She said she was a hippy so I don't feel bad saying "she was a hippy". But she also wants to go to church and stuff. So we're going to help her with that of course. Other than that the week was kinda slow. People aren't too antsy to meet when they have no power. Don't blame them.
But yeah that's the Irene chronicle. Talk to you next week!
-Elder Parker
No comments:
Post a Comment