07 February 2011

february 7th

Pretty good week. The baptism did happen on Saturday, despite everything possible almost getting in the way. Speaking of just the actual service, we had all the hot water in the building just disappear, so the water was freezing cold. We tried boiling water and dumping it in real quick to heat it up just a little but that didn't do anything. It was really hard for him to go under the water cause he has high blood pressure problems and so it made it difficult for reasons I don't quite understand. Plus the plug at the bottom of the font decided it didn't care about doing the one thing it was made to do so we had to shove a towel on the drain to keep it from completely draining out. It started draining like right after the service started. There were some other things too but it would take too long to explain them all. In summary: it happened and everyone's happy. It was a good service and most of his family was there, who are all members of the branch. His brother baptized him and Elder Christensen confirmed him right afterwards cause he wasn't going to be there on Sunday. We're just glad it's over. Next week's baptism should be much easier. No last minute planning this time.

Other than that there wasn't a whole lot. We spent lots of time getting the baptism ready and everything and because of some added stress it took up most of our free time. We did go on exchanges with Petersburg where I spent some time in Wakefield with Elder Pope who's from...Utah somewhere. It was good. It's fun showing people all the weird little things about Wakefield as we drive around. He had never really been in the "country" before so it was a good experience for him. He used the word "quaint" a lot.

We did some service this week for a recent convert family that's trying to build a house. Some wiring and trench-digging and stuff, so I was able to put my new pants to good use. We've been trying our darndest to get some more service opportunities cause President Perry really wants us to but man alive it's hard. We're gonna try some new things this week and hopefully it'll work out.

Oh, interesting experience in testimony meeting. We had a sorta less-active member start singing some baptist gospel song on his way up to the pulpit. He walked really slowly too so he could get most of the song out. I guess our chapel has that affect on people? I dunno. It was weird.

Well today we're in Colonial Heights cause we're having a zone p-day. I've had more zone p-days in the last six months than I've ever had the rest of my mission (0). We're just playing volleyball and stuff so nothing real exciting. But it's fun being with other missionaries for a while.

What else what else what else. I've started a tape with some good stuff on it and I'll try to finish that soon. I've totally dropped the ball on my journal ever since we started going to bed earlier. I haven't written in it since the day after Christmas. Sad.

This week felt like it was really long yet I have nothing more to say. See ya!

-Elder Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment