Transfers are gonna happen Thursday but I won't be going anywhere. They told us last night what was going down. Me and Elder Holbrook are staying together but we're getting a new friend. One of the Spanish Elders (Elder Campbell) is gonna be with us in a trio in what they call a "zebra companionship". We'll go with him to Spanish appointments and he'll go with us to English ones. It'll be nuts. The Waynesboro Spanish area is one of the more successful Spanish areas right now so we're going to be very busy every day and every week. We have 8 lessons scheduled tomorrow (a lesson each hour almost) and plenty more the rest of the week. We're basically combining the work of two areas into one mega area. Weird. But what this does mean is that I'll have to start learning some Spanish. Well, I don't really HAVE to but if we don't learn Elder Campbell will teach all the Spanish people by himself which would stink. He's gonna teach us how to bear our testimonies and say prayers in Spanish and hopefully we'll pick it up. I'm kind of excited about it. I'll get to learn and speak a new language without having to speak it all the time. It'll be a new challenge. My French might help me out a bit cause they're fairly similar. We'll see.There's a small chance they'll reverse the decision cause I guess some of the Spanish leadership is talking to President about how they think it's a bad idea, but I doubt it. It is the most successful Spanish area but everyone knows that there aren't a lot of Spanish people here to begin with so that's why they're probably doing it. Plus they're opening up two other Spanish areas so they probably don't have enough of them to go around. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing though. Elder Campbell is pretty cool. He's from Salt Lake City and has only been in Virginia one transfer longer than me but has been out almost 10 months I think. Plus we're in a trio now which means we don't have to worry about the whole 3rd male thing. We are gonna stay in our dumpy apartment instead of the nice Fishersville one. Oh well.
Anyways that wasn't the only thing that happened this week. I "celebrated" my 6 month mark with a lunch at Taco Bell and a ceremonial tie burning. It wasn't my idea. Elder Holbrook's a traditionalist and ran upstairs to get a tie when I just mentioned the word "burn". Apparently it's against the rules here but I had no idea so it was in ignorance. The whole thing didn't even burn, just the bottom a little. I guess cotton/silk blends don't burn as easy as 100% silk. Lame.
The rest of the week wasn't terribly exciting. We learned a little more about the "new things" they want us to do. Our District Leader finished the 3 day conference in Richmond and gave us a little rundown. They want us to have a new Ward Mission Plan that's no longer than 3 main points. Any longer and they said it wouldn't work. The first point is something that everyone in the ward can commit to do, like pray. The second is something 60% of the ward can do, like study Preach My Gospel. And the third is something 40% can do, like invite someone to be taught. The main thing though is the unity in the first point, cause once everyone's unified the promise is that our baptisms will quadruple. Lofty promise I know but we're gonna do it anyway. But yeah, the other stuff they mentioned was trying to get the real concerns out of investigators by asking more questions and pausing. So if they give a vague answer we kinda sit there a little to let it soak into them more and then they'll open up. We were sorta taught that in the MTC so I guess we already knew but it's a little interesting.
But yeah that's what's going on here. I'm gonna get kicked off 5 minutes early or so. Sorry about last week. I only had 45 minutes which wasn't enough to read, upload, and write.
Thanks for trying to get the pants here. No one had mentioned them in forever so I thought you guys forgot. Hope Cavan's arm gets better. It sounded nasty. Glad I didn't see it. Tell Casen to grow up. Wait, no, don't. Or maybe do. I don't know. 1 minute left.
Thanks for trying to send me e-mails and don't be strangers through the mailbox.
-Elder Parker
Pictures:
1. Our new companion.
2. I'm watching it burn. Sorry that it's sideways.

No comments:
Post a Comment