14 March 2010

wrap your mistakes in a cocoon and let them die, and become a brand new butterfly

Right now it's 65 and yesterday it got to 70, so any previous notions that it won't get warm anytime soon should be out the window.

My week has been just fine. Today is my 1 month mark here in Chesterfield which means I no longer have an excuse for not knowing people or not being a productive missionary. I'm still in my period of least accountability, but definitely less so now than before. We've been getting strong pressure from our zone leaders to actually set one of our many investigators for baptism, but we've already asked most of them and some of them aren't being contacted regularly for whatever reason. But it is something we're trying to do in the near future, which would be real exciting. We've had a lot of cancellations this week (as usual) so we've had to deal with that. Monday was the worst of it all, as it became pretty comical how everything was just going wrong. We first had the Stake President cancel on us, which rarely happens. Then our golden investigator couldn't meet with us because her fellowshipping family got sick and won't let us talk to her without them there. Then we drove 15 minutes to a lesson (which is a lot around here) only to find a polite letter on the door telling us to never come back. Then we had one of our other investigators not answer the door even though we know they were there, and know they knew we were there. Then we used 20 miles to go to a hospital where a former investigator had elbow surgery, only to find her completely incoherent and unable to talk to us. The day quickly became a running joke and we laughed a good deal about it. There were other things that happened too but I won't talk about those for time's sake.

Oh, I did get to go to Goodwill and buy like 5 awesome ties. Yes, they're striped, and yes, they're thin. 2 bucks each wasn't so cool, but whatever. I'm fly.

Missionary work itself takes some getting used to. I feel like I'm in some strange life simulator where instead of being normal you go out and talk to people with no concern for yourself or what you'll say or how they'll react to it. Every so often I'll get a glimpse of the outside world that's going on around me, but then I'll realize that I'm not really a part of it. Situations that I would normally be uncomfortable with at home aren't so uncomfortable now. Like walking around the mall in the middle of the day in a suit and tie. Or asking kids on the front lawn if their parents are home. It's odd. I'm odd.

Otherwise the week was, dare I say it, uneventful. Because of the cancellations we didn't get to talk to too many people. We did have District Meeting which was a joy for my companion the district leader. He did fine though.

That's it for my little update. Glad to hear my thing on Sunday went well. I'm sure it was fine.

That's all.

-Elder Ryan Parker

PS: The subject is a line from one of my most bestest favoritest songs that we listen to many times a week. It's bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment