We had a pretty good week. Nothing really huge to say up front. We've been getting fed pretty well lately and gettng to know everyone There's very few we haven't met at this point. The investigators we had when we got here have been difficult to contact for whatever reason but we're actively trying to fix that. It's just hard when you can't really drive out to see people very often and phone calls aren't doing the trick. Our area will be closed from the 22-25th cause of the leadership meeting coming up so that'll help a ton with miles. Elder Gaunt will be going to Jamestown and I'll be at the meeting, which stinks cause that's 4 days without anyone here. We'll make do though.
The miracle couple we met last Sunday are still doing good. Both appointments we had with them had to be cut short because of various time restraints. We went with our branch president on Friday and it turns out he knew him when he was a kid so that was cool. Connection! Then on Saturday we gave them a tour of the church but they couldn't come yesterday cause they had to work. They said they would definitely request Sundays off though, and they really meant it too. I wish they had come cause we had told everyone in the branch about them and we wanted them to meet people, and because we gave the talks in sacrament. It was the first time I've had half of sacrament to speak so I was a little nervous but I ended up going on for 29 minutes which surprised me. The branch really liked our talks though. Our branch president said it was the best 2 talks he had ever heard missionaries give in sacrament, which means a lot from the guy who literally wrote the book on giving talks in sacrament meeting. We did ask him for advice so that probably helped. But we also gave a good solicitation for service from the branch they really responded. We're painting a garage and raking leaves (again) this week and should be doing more later this month. We built a lot of trust with the branch yesterday which is very exciting.
This week we did meet a family that's moving in here who actually were baptized in Penasquitos 1st ward. They lived right across the street from Mt. Carmel and they were tracted into. They left in 1990 but they still know a lot of the "long timers" in the stake like the Birds and the Platts. It was weird meeting someone from Penasquitos cause I was certain I never would. But they've traveled all over the place (like Alaska). They're the Schaefer family, if that means anything to you (doubt it). We also helped them put a new water pump into their car which means I sat and watched Elder Gaunt help him do it. I learned a few things about car repair which was good but I basically was an extra pair of hands that weren't really used. It was worth it though. They saved a ton of money doing it ($500 vs $50).
What else. We had district meeting in Newport News. We have to drive down there for every meeting which really really stinks. There's just no one here that can make the hour and 45 minute drive there and the hour and 45 minute drive back. But the meeting was good.
I am out of things to say. I am really close to the end of the tape so look forward to that. Or not cause I've said that for weeks now. But I'm almost there. Really.
See ya!
-Elder Parker
No comments:
Post a Comment