So I'm definitely late to e-mailing today. We got back at 4 no problem but the internet in all the libraries in the area was down so we had to call and plead/ask for a solution to that problem. They gave us permission to use a member's computer so we're at our branch mission leader's house. They're watching Saints and Soldiers right now. I hear gunshots and yelling.
I don't have any pictures to send cause I didn't bring my camera. I didn't think we'd get permission to e-mail until we had already left. Don't cry. Jamestown was pretty cool though. We got to take the ferry across the river meaning we were of only a handful of missionaries at the moment to be in the middle of a body of water. It was very very cold. And very windy. Like, couldn't stand up straight without getting blown over windy. It got better when we got off the ferry but still. The member we went with had some bread that we used to feed the many seagulls that hovered around the back of the boat. I tried getting them to pick it out of my hand but they didn't like me. Once off the ferry we walked around the original fort and town and stuff. It wasn't as big as I thought it would be but it was still cool to see that kind of history. I got some postcards at the store that I'm going to send and a little "Yamestowne" replica artifact that I thought was cool. Really though it was a nice trip and now I can say I've been to Jamestown.
That was just one part of the week though. We had a "big" snowstorm come through that really shut things down out here. It wasn't really that big but because Virginia drivers don't understand the basics of snow the mission told us all to stay inside on Thursday. We ended up walking around, throwing snowballs, and playing Monopoly. Kinda boring. But I like seeing snow so it was kind of exciting. Plus they're calling for snow on Friday which potentially means a white Christmas for us, which we've been really hoping for. We'll be in Petersburg on Christmas Eve with the other missionaries and then be coming back Christmas morning around 11:00 our time.
Anyways, the week was thrown into chaos because the snow. We've still been having a ridiculous amount of cancelled/not kept appointments. Charles is still in Norfolk and we can't really contact him so his baptism is still in the air. Disappointing. And we've had a few misses where we shouldn't have had misses and now we're kind of swimming in a shallow teaching pool. We'll have to pick it up this week but things got real slow. At church they had the primary's christmas nativity which was crazy and nuts and everything. Kinda glad no investigators were there. Scott got his patriarchal blessing yesterday which was cool. And he went to the temple last Saturday. Ooray.
Hm, what else. I need to start writing stuff down to put in these again. I feel unprepared every week to tell you my exploits. But other than that I can't think of anything else to say. Still a missionary. Still in Virginia. Still preachin'.
-Elder Parker
No comments:
Post a Comment