So I got a haircut right after my last e-mail. It was from someone in our ward who I guess cuts his family's hair and stuff. I got a 8 on top and a 6 on the sides, which is odd only because I had no idea what those meant. I think I'm regretting the 6 on the sides instead of something shorter but whatever. No one cares what you look like on a mission anyway, right? Right? No one even notices?
The rest of the week was okay. We had District Meeting on Friday which my companion planned and stuff, since he's the District Leader. We did pretend tracting with some volunteer members. It was fun, but I think they were too nice on us. After that though I was left in Chesterfield AGAIN to be the man in charge. I did a lot better driving, mostly because I found out you could raise the seat. Elder Petersen is much taller than me so before I could barely see over the wheel but now I can see the hood clearly like I want. I did much better, and am really getting to know the area better and where stuff is. This also meant I was left to plan that Saturday by my lonesome, which I hadn't done before. It took me an hour and a half but I did it. It helps to know where people are so you can plan an actual route to follow so you're not wasting miles everywhere. The day (and week for that matter) could've been better but we're trying harder this week to get actual lessons scheduled instead of knocking on doors that don't bother answering.
Saturday night was a baptism of someone in Colonial Heights, so we went to that. Me and Elder Petersen were the witnesses which I've never done before. He was a big guy so I had to monitor his belly's ascension into the water. He made it. It was also good to watch because we finally got one of our baptismal date investigators to settle on a day and a program for it. I'll be giving the talk on the Holy Ghost (which means I'd like a copy of my farewell talk; it should be in my documents folder under "Talks that I've written" or something; it'll be the most recent one) so that's exciting. Her boyfriend is doing the baptism. It's on the 24th.
Yesterday we spent the morning going to a dermatologist. Elder Petersen had a bad case of ringworm on his forearms that somehow mutated into a crazy, gross, oozing rash. We went all the way down to the dermatologist's office in Colonial Heights, only to find out that she's not a practicing dermatologist, but she was one in India. So she looked at it with a very non-conclusive diagnosis, and he hopes to get an appointment with a real dermatologist soon. It's really ugly looking, and prevents him from wearing short sleeve shirts. But yeah, that was our excitement for the day.
We did have a cool experience later that day though. We went to knock on a former investigator's house, and I guess as we were walking up their driveway they got a phone call that they were approved for the apartment they wanted to move into. Both parents had lost their jobs and would've ended up homeless if this last apartment of 5 didn't approve them. So they were busy being excited as crap, when a couple of missionaries knocked on their door. They said we always have impeccable timing, and that they might as well listen to us since everything else they had prayed for that week had happened. So we're gonna help them move sometime soon and hopefully get to talk to them more.
So yeah I think that's about it for the week. Today we're going bowling with the rest of the district which, as uncreative as it is, should be fun. Transfers are the week of the 2nd so we're getting pretty close to me potentially leaving here. I have no idea what'll happen this time around.
I hate to wrap it up so soon, but I think that's it. Oh, the weather got a lot cooler, into the late 60s early 70s, which is good for...not dying.
-Elder Ryan "Snowflake" Parker
Pictures:
1. Me about to get a haircut in my Virginia Tech shirt. I got it at Goodwill, and it makes a nice "yes, I was in Virginia" for when I go home. It says "Residential Property Management". So, cool?
2. This dog is funny lookin'.


No comments:
Post a Comment